Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Eighties Radio

 Oooh, I love that Billy Joel! "Uptown girl..."

Ah, the Big 80's sound! Takes me back to those awkward dances in junior high where you wanted to touch a girl, but were too scared to try too cool to bother.

Local station WPLJ has had an 80's themed Saturday night since I moved to New York. While waiting for My Lovely Wife in the supermarket parking lot, I tuned in. What was playing?

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to...

Taco? Puttin' on the Ritz? I LOVE THIS SONG! Car dance party! I had this on a K-Tel collection (on vinyl!) back in the day!

After an exhausting 90 seconds of seated rocking, the ads came on. 

"Wow, that all natural remedy you told me about REALLY helped with my menopause hot flashes!"

Really? I'm in that demographic? Why not throw in a few ads for Depends while you're at it?

After the break, Springsteen came on. It was Cover Me, from the Born in the USA album. Sang along for a few bars, remembering that this was playing at one of those awkward junior high dances, when it hit me. 

This song is 28 years old.

Some one born the year this song came out could now be hipster douchebag in Brooklyn, ironically Occupying Wall Street. (Can bongo drumming have air quotes?)

You know what? I'm feeling a little down right now. How about some music from They Might Be Giants to lighten the mood?

Fuck it. I'm done. Where's my Jack Daniels?

No comments:

Post a Comment